Apple accelerates its approach to carbon neutrality Apple is planning to become carbon neutral across its entire business, manufacturing supply chain, and product life cycle by 2030. Even in 2020, the […]
Apple accelerates its approach to carbon neutrality
Apple is planning to become carbon neutral across its entire business, manufacturing supply chain, and product life cycle by 2030. Even in 2020, the company is already carbon neutral for its global corporate operations. Thus, this new commitment means that every Apple device sold will have net zero climate impact by 2030.
Apple’s CEO, Tim Cook said“Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, our common concern for the planet we share.” In addition, “The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet. They have helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online. Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth.”
Apple is providing detail on its approach to carbon neutrality with a roadmap for other companies. This is because entire supply chain in Apple’s products must take this decision into consideration seriously. According to its 2020 Environmental Progress Report, Apple details its plans to reduce emissions by 75 percent by 2030. On the other hand, developing innovative carbon removal solutions will work for the remaining 25 percent of its comprehensive footprint.
Apple will remain at 100 percent renewable energy for its operations. Furthermore, the US tech giant focuses on creating new projects and moving its entire supply chain to clean power.
- As of July 21st, 2020, Apple has commitments from over 70 suppliers to use 100 percent renewable energy for production. This number will be equivalent to nearly 8 gigawatts in commitments to power the manufacturing of its products. When these ambitious approach is completed, these commitments will avoid over 14.3 million metric tons of CO2e annually.
- New and completed projects in Arizona, Oregon, and Illinois bring Apple’s renewable capacity for its corporate operations to over 1GW. The number will be equivalent to powering over 150,000 homes a year. In fact, over 80 percent of the renewable energy that Apple sources for its facilities are from Apple-created projects now. Thus, they give benefits communities as well as other businesses.
- Globally, Apple is launching one of the largest new solar arrays in Scandinavia. What’s more, the company starts two new projects in the Philippines and Thailand.
Who is Apple?
Apple revolutionized personal technology with the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984. Today, Apple leads the world in innovation with iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV.
The company has five software platforms such as iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. As a result, the US tech giant can provide seamless experiences across all Apple devices and its users. The breakthrough services including the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay, and iCloud can empower people, too. Apple has more than 100,000 employees, and they are dedicated to making the best products on earth.
SMEs cannot ignore this announcement
In March, 2021, over 110 Apple’s suppliers make commitment to use 100 percent renewable energy for their production. One of them is Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd., which is a Japanese multinational electronics company. What will happen in the next?
These suppliers including Murata might ask their suppliers to show the commitment to use 100 percent renewable energy, too. Therefore, Small and Medium enterprises (SMEs) must take this trend into consideration more seriously. If we were to be management of SMEs, we always keep every risks around the company in mind. For example, they can be political tensions, natural disasters, employee satisfaction, solvency, shareholders and climate change.
In this case, carbon neutral becomes more critical issue for many companies across the globe. Therefore, it may be better for SMEs to make new strategy relating to their energy use.